Saturday, June 07, 2008

The phenomenal hiking of oil price




It was a disaster for all of us, especially those who own a car. It’s not only the maintenance that you have to keep up to let your car run smoothly, but also you have to think about the fuel consumption, the overhead tolls (hopefully they won’t increase the toll), and basically increasing the oil price means increasing everything else – clothes, food, etc.

I have been pinching myself to recover the savings I have used up to buy a laptop. I have been cutting down my entertainment and also my cravings for Chillis, TGI Friday, Secret Recipe, Thai food and even KFC/Domino’s/McD’s. Forking out money to buy lunch or dinner is considered once in a blue moon now. Basically I tried my best to just eat at home and only go out 2-3 times a week for food, just to reward myself for ‘good’ behavior or catch up with good friends. With this lifestyle, I could save RM600 per month.

But now, with the hike of oil price, I doubt I can save that much now. For a month, my fuel consumption is between Rm150-200 (basically I pump RM50 of petrol thrice a month) and RM50 of fuel usually last for a good 7-10 days (5km daily travel to UKM, and 7km 3times a week to Kajang Prima to teach plus one trip to Taman desa weekly, sometimes twice, and I could also move around a bit which usually does not make a difference). That was what RM50 can give me (220km in estimation for every pump). But now? You tell me. It was hell of a bad news for me. But then after reading the news and exchanging views with few knowledgeable people, I guess I have to accept the fact that the government has a point in inflating the oil price, and it was time for them to open the eyes of the blind people in Malaysia, including all of us.

Read the news, you’ll see that the price has been increasing since 1990 from only rm1.10. After 18 years, the difference is Rm1.60, less than 10cents per year to be exact. So folks, Oil price doesn’t decrease, but they will keep on increasing depending on demands and resources. Rumour has it, by August we will be paying as much as what Sporeans are paying for their fuel – RM4.00. So guys, no more fooling around wasting your parents money. It’s time to pinch yourself with the reality. Reality hurts, but we need to move along with it.

Speaking of fuel, last tuesday, I went to this Shell oil station near Kajang Prima to pump petrol. As usual, I will pump Rm50. There is always this malay guy or the tall indian boy who offered to pump petrol for me and i don't even have to step out from my car. This time i was unlucky and a bit careless that I wasnt checking when the guy (he never pumped for me) was pumping for my car. After a brief moment, I heard a 'click' sound which says that the tank has been filled with the desired amount. So i checked the display on the pump, and it was only Rm40. So, I asked the guy.

He told me, "Oh, ini kereta yang tadi, moi."

"eh, saya minta RM50 la, bukan RM40."

He kept on saying that the display is not working, and the digit displayed was for the previous car.

I was confused, then stupidly, I asked again, "Oh you mean you pumped from the other side?"

He answered, "ahh yes, yang ini suda rosak. you tak tau kah miss? sorry ah.."

I knew he was lying. But i was alone at that time and i just dont want to fight because there was not many people in the station, so I decided to just let it go but i was cursing along the way back to Taman Desa.

It was just one unlucky day for me.

0 what say you:

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008