Monday, January 05, 2009

One day at INTAN

I had my PAC about 3 weeks ago. It was a good experience for me. I met new people without actually knowing their names. I have to ask for their names whenever I talk to them, even though it was not the first time we spoke with each other. It’s too many to remember that I think everyone should be spared for not remembering names.

We are the first batch to have a one-day PAC, and I have to say we’re very unlucky. One is because the competition has become very stiff and everyone, including those who are very good has only a 50/50 chance. Secondly, this is not even a PAC after all. It’s only a pre-PAC, and the real PAC is only after you passed the interview and is hired as a contract PTD. Certainly, I am not sure what my chances are since all the participants are way smarter and better than me. I can’t even figure out any plus point that I have to compare myself with those outstanding participants which I know the panel has identified. One is, they have the height. Second, they have the confidence. Third, they have the voice. Fourth, they have brains.

PAC day started out dreadfully for me. I got up as early as 5am in the morning. Took my hot bath and dressed up as how I was told. I left Bangi at about 6.15am. The first disaster to spice up my morning that day was when I found out I don’t have enough cash with me and ATM machine is only accessible after 7am. I reached PJ around 6.45am trying to find any petrol station around that area that has an ATM machine. When I finally found a place (which is the KFC restaurant drive thru) to withdraw money, suddenly the rain started to pour down mercilessly and the best part was, I don’t have my umbrella in my car. The restaurant is only 10 steps away from where I parked my car but with that kind of weather, I’ll be soaked wet by the time I reach the restaurant for shelter. I cursed myself for not remembering to keep my umbrella in my car. The thing is, the umbrella has always been in my car but the day before I went for PAC, I left it at home.

To buy another umbrella was way too impossible since I don’t have enough cash to purchase one. I drove to the nearby petrol station and there was this uncle who was working alone at that time. I entered the premise and asked him a stupid question.

“Uncle, you don’t have any ATM machine here right?” Actually it was too obvious that there was no ATM machine since the petrol station store is almost the size of my room.

The uncle looked at me with his suspicious look as though I’m going to rob him. I feel like telling him, “I’m in baju kurung for God sake uncle, and my size is too small to start a crime.” Basically what I wanted to tell him is I’m totally harmless.

So he answered, “No, but there is one in KFC.”

I looked around and spotted an umbrella sticking out from a small dustbin at one corner.

“Uncle, do you mind if I borrow your umbrella? Just for awhile since the rain is really bad.”

With great reluctance he said yes.

I drove back to KFC drive thru with the borrowed umbrella. The umbrella did help me from total wetness though I was in a mess after that. I ran inside and found the ATM machine but the next disastrous thing was, I couldn’t find my Maybank ATM card in my purse. Where the hell did it go? It was there all this while and why today the card has to go missing? I cursed again and again for my misfortunes. In the end I had to use my cimbank. Lucky I still have some money in my cimb bank.

I went back to my car, with my hair as messy as a broom. Again, I did not bring a comb. How do I know it’s gonna rain that morning and I had to go through the rain to withdraw money. The bottom part of my skirt was totally wet and I know I am not going to impress any panel with my untidiness. Nothing can be done, so I drove to Intan campus with total disappointments. What a good thing to start a day huh?

I waited in my car until it was just drizzling. After I was certain that Im safe to go, I took everything I need and ran towards the building. There was about 20 of them waiting outside and the minute i went into view, I noticed all eyes were on me. I walked nervously to the staircase and spotted an empty seat. Lucky enough the ladies who sat beside me were really kind and friendly to at least ask questions.

Everybody went like, “hi, ure here for PAC? Im XXXX, what’s ur name?”

Well I did the same thing and in my 26 years of living, I don’t remember being this friendly. But what the heck, everybody has put to on a mask. As much as I hate it, I had to do it to go through it. Enough about judging what everyone is wearing, I don’t know how ‘approriate’ I look so im gonna leave it at that.

The registration starts minutes after that and my number was 34. What a coincidence! First of all, the last 2 digit of my hp number is 34, the last digit of my car plate no is also 34.. everything is just so coincidentally arranged as though there was some jinx involved. a good one for sure. So that kept my heads up for the first few hrs, maybe it was a sign.. (Funny!). Well the photo session. Being Unlucky as always, I have to stand beside those who were about at least 10cm taller than me. I look exactly like a hobbit to them!

After the short brief from the panels, we had our first activity, which is the English session. For my opinion alone, I think I did well – on the speaking/talking part (regardless of what craps I was pointing on). SO that might be a plus point. Too early to say though.

So the second activity was the BM part, it was the toughest for me as I cant speak BM properly. Yes, I sucked. So after doing a plus minus of the two activities, im back to zero. (Great!)

The third activity was the physical test. I did my part. Tried to lead my group of 20 I think, but I messed it up. That’s another minus point there. But I can give myself some credits for finishing the hard part of the physical test which is DOING the ‘army’ exercise. I think I did better than the two guys wedged between me.

After the test, I can barely move my leg. But I gotta drive home after that. So I did a slight warm down exercise to relax my muscles. Only when i was driving home that i realized PAC, ehem, sorry.. pre-PAC, was over.

I was glad. I did my best. And whatever comes will be it.


p/s oh.. I did return the umbrella to the uncle actually... u knw how 'skema' i am always..

2 what say you:

Anonymous said...

hai...m also going for the prepac soon,so how's the physical test alike,if u would like to share?N do we need to wear any specific outfit for the test,i.i track bottom,etc?TQ

F.E.A said...

physical was easy actually, but they rag you to do it like a hundred counts for each test.

If you're good in your english and your BM, and you finished your physical test without stopping, you have a brighter chance. Because the competition is very stiff. If you think you didnt do well in any of this activities, then you only have a 50/50 chance since its only a one day assessment.

It's pretty unfair but they have changed the policy since rumour has it the past PTDs did not perform well after they get into their jobs. Of course i failed my pre-PAC because i couldn't speak BM fluently though i know i did well in english and physical test.

as for the attire, going there you need to dress up formally. Baju Kurung with light color if ure a girl, no striking color and a court shoes. But you need to bring a long a dark color track bottom and a white T-shirt for the physical test. I guess that's all you need to know.

Be as formal as you can be and make sure you interact with others, everything will be evaluated. One mistake only, then you're out of the list.

Well, if u have an insider to help with ur application then it will be better since I heard there is still some inside jobs. But I prefer to be accepted because of my qualification not because I have someone inside.

But that was just rumours. I dont know whether to believe it.

Good luck and all the best!

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008