Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bite Me!



PART 1 - TWILIGHT VIRGIN

Back in the days, I think it was in November before Lydia went back to Kuching – we were both eager to find a book to read. To find a new obsession to spice up our boring life, oh at least my life. Well, if I could use the word ‘imprint’ here -which probably you don’t know what it means if you never crossed path with Twilight-, I was searching for my imprint to happen. NONE.

Instead, I was torn between two books, which I am not sure if I should buy either of it. It's a bit unreasonable to get a book, for the sake of buying. Both are almost the same prize. More or less RM35.00.

Me: Im not sure if I should buy a book. Both are pretty expensive, getting both is never an option.

Lydia: Well, Fellie. I will never calculate when it comes to buying books. It’s always good to buy a book.


True. I think the last time I actually read a book was….errrrm, 2 years back, maybe?


Me: Bryan, I need help. Please tell me which do you think I should choose between these two books.

Bryan: Well, how about u get both?

Me: *shook head* uh huh, not an option. Only one.


I think it’s pretty stupid to force myself to buy a book. So Bryan chose this….


Alright, Lydia and Bryan chose the same book…

So while Lydia was torn apart between ‘Kite Runner’ and Cecelia Ahern books (or was it Jodi Picoult?), I wandered around the bookstore to look for other interesting books, if there is. I wasn’t really satisfied with my choice. But of course to make myself happier, I got myself a Sudoku puzzle to add into my cart.

Then, in the middle of the store, facing the entrance was a big pile of books, which I think was the new hit. Hmmm, it was the vampire story....in-te-res-ting.

Me: Ehh… Lydia… Lydia… Do you think I should get this book? It's quite appealing.

Lydia: Hmmm, it’s playing in the cinema now though. If I were you, I wouldn’t want to spoil the movie. I want to watch it in the cinema. Besides, Pearl sent me an e-book of the story, I can give you a copy if you want.

Me: Oh okay then. (So I turned away, not looking at the book - little that I know i made a BIG MISTAKE)


So, few days later, Mr.T came back for his one week holiday, and we did catch the movie in GSC Midvalley. He was disappointed with the story, said it was boring but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Weeks after I finished Kim Edward, My thirst for books becomes greater. I thought maybe I should get that Twilight book since I like the movie a lot. I have been searching almost every Borders and MPH in town, but to no avail. True enough, I was a Twilight virgin, it was already an IN-THING.

PART 2 – THE BEGINNING OF MY TWILIGHT RACE

Apparently, everybody has been in a rat race getting the book, and I was the foolish unlucky human, the one who hasn't been bitten (yet) by the infuriating obsession. I was wholly consumed,the whole frenzy thing started to spread through every ounce of my blood, so I launched my own race to satisfy my obsession.

I have two more days before I fly back to KK. Jimmy was greatly annoyed yet kind enough to be supportive. I think he understands his crazy sister enough that he’s willing to be dragged by me to every bookstore. What a sweet brother I have there.

The last place - MPH Putrajaya. The place I first laid eyes on Twilight. I should have known it was an imprint. I guess i was broke enough to be bothered.

So I got there as fast as i could but it wasn't where i knew it would be, based on my last visit. The piles were gone to dust. So I went to the cashier.

Me: Excuse me, do you still have the copy of Twilight?

Cashier: Oh, it’s out of stock.

Me: Owh..


I was disappointed. But it wasn’t the time to give up, so I tried a small talk with the girl.

Me: When do you think you will have the stock? Because I have been searching everywhere for the book. I went to every Borders and MPH in town. Your store is my last resort. (I put on a sad face)

Wow, the cashier actually paid attention, she actually bought my fabricated story. Well it was partially trueabout the 'searching' part, just not the entire town (Klang Valley for that matter)

Cashier: Yes, I kinda understand that. It has been a crazy sale for Twilight, and we only have one now which I already reserved for myself.

Hahahahah, got her!! She was foolish to have revealed that information cos I know how to play my cards well. At that very moment, the manager came to the cashier and I believed that he was eavesdropping all the while.

Manager: Oh, can you give me a moment. Let me have a look first.

Yesss!!!

He went to the back store, while I kept the conversation going with the cashier. It was the trick, to get acquainted with your prey, before you do the killing. I was having so much fun.

Then, the manager appeared again.

Manager: Sorry, miss. We only have New Moon left at the back, Twilight is out of stock. Why don’t you come on Monday?

Oh oh, but i wasnt done yet! So i pulled another string, which was actually my last effort.

Me: Oh, I don’t think I can do that. You see, I’ve been going here and there to search for the book. It has been tiring, but I have no choice because I’m going back to KK tomorrow and KK is even worse, I don’t think they even have stocks there. Today is my last day in KL, and your bookstore is actually my last hope.

The cashier heard this and started to make a low noise, showing sympathy and at the same time forcing herself to offer the only book they have which she has reserved for herself.

She sacrificed her book for me??? I did it?? No??!!

She was gone after that.

I did it!!!!!!

Then, I turned to the manager.

Me: Oh, you were saying you still have New Moon?

Manager: Oh, yeah. You want it? I thought it's only Twilight that you wanted.

Me: Oh well, now i want both actually. You do have stocks right? (Polite and pursuasive)

Manager: Sure, give me a moment miss.


Few seconds later, both came with Twilight and New Moon. With a triumphant smile, I took out some money to pay when I heard someone approached.

Someone: Kak, ader buku Twilight lagi tak?

I feel like jumping with joy at that moment because I won my race, though I didnt get the whole set, but it was enough to put a wide smile on my face. I thanked the girl endlessly and left victoriously.

Twilight Saga, Book 1 - Twilight


Twilight Saga, Book 2 - New Moon

PART THREE – TWILIGHT FRENZY

I am gonna make this short. Cos I can’t wait to post this entry.

I was back in KK, and I was restless.

On the second day after I arrived from KL, I started my Twilight race again. I went to the entire popular bookstore in KK, including Times in Warisan Square. All stocks were cleared, no surprise, I wasn’t really hoping actually, just taking my chances.

It didn't end there. I was very determined to get the copy of the subsequent book. So I called my cousin who was a former staff of MPH, got him to race for me in KL. Gave him details on the places I haven’t covered. I called Lydia, she promised she will be on the run for me soon. Called Pearl to check stocks in Melaka. I was about to call some friends overseas, but I changed my mind. So I checked on the net, made a call to MPH putrajaya, did my bookings. I almost called MPH Midvalley before I remembered that I actually made the reservations much earlier.

Yes, I’ve done everything a crazy hunter would do.

Oh well, since my family wasnt going to celebrate Xmas (last dec) because of the mourning period, I spent all day and night reading my book. Willingly stayed home, like a good girl, just to finish up my book, Britanny, my niece was as crazy as I am. A little confession here. I failed to be patient. I didn’t wait for my Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I finished the whole saga story through eBook. I even grew some boils on my thigh and backside for accumulating heat on my backside due to long hours of immobility, that explained how eccentric I was.

PART FOUR - THE PHONE CALL

So I got my Twilight and New Moon but I promised Britanny I would hunt for her to get her saga set once i get back to KL. I got the two books within a week and sent it to her through ‘ Jimmymail’.

Then one fine day, on a Sunday actually, when I was driving back to Taman Desa from EduYoung, I received a call from an anonymous number. Usually I don’t answer anonymous calls but this time I decided to break some rules.

Caller: Hello, May I talk to Fellie Edwin, please? (Whoa, full name some more)

Me: Yes, speaking.

Caller: I’m calling from MPH Midvalley, you have reserved one book from us? Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer.

Me: (Excitedly, almost throwing the phone to my windscreen) oh yeah yeah yeah!!

Caller: You can collect them now, miss.

Me: Okay okay, please keep it for me. I’ll be over in just an hour. Where is it again? (So immature)

Caller: It’s Midvalley, miss.

Me: Oh right..yeah yeah!! Thanks!


I dragged Kane from the house to send me to Midvalley. It was impossible to find a parking in Midvalley on a sunday and I don’t think I can sit still considering the traffic is going to be ridiculous. So I asked Kane to drop me and pick me up few hours later. It wasn't hard enough to get Kane agreed since Taman Desa and Midvalley is just 5 minutes away.

So I got my Eclipse.

Twilight Saga, Book 3 - Eclipse

The last hunt would be the last book of Twilight Saga – Breaking Dawn. It should be in my collection soon enough.

My book collection of Twilight Saga

You wanna read the book, get your own collection peeps... I ain't gonna let my collection out of my sight., even for a day. hahahahh...



.. SIGNING OUT..

0 what say you:

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008