Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Romantically cheap

Valentine's Day. Love it or hate it. It comes around every year on February 14th like clockwork.


It’s funny when people start asking me about V day gifts and it’s even weirder to give ideas when I don’t celebrate V day myself like everybody does. Apart from the distance, T is a very practical unromantic guy so I don’t see a point going extra miles to impress him with my romantic talent, not that I have so much money to invest on this occasion. I bet he’ll just shrug and say thanks. Well, at least he’s being nice.


It’s true what my friends say, V day is too commercialized nowadays and some found it rather being manipulated by the occasion. Floweriest starts hiking the price, restaurants give their best offer to allure the celebrating lovers for profits and what else have I missed? The economy is really bad now, and breaking a bank will be a mission of impossible.


Whatever it is, here are some tips that I think you can try without going broke after V day. There are times I wish I can do all these and keep the ideas all to myself, but like I said there’s nothing that will impress him unless I finish my master as soon as possible. So there goes my suppressed romantic talents.


1. If you’re good in playing any instrument, it will be utterly romantic to write a music or song for them. I tried but I don’t have good lyrics so I decided not to bother. Besides, T is too much of a ‘man’ to understand the purpose/message of the song. If you can’t write, just sing any Britney song. If you can’t sing, try lip sync. Whatever it is, this should be really romantic, because it’s coming from your heart.


2. Get a really small bottle, maybe the size of your thumb or maybe slightly bigger. Pen something nice on fancy papers. Poem perhaps, or select quotes/poems from any famous writer like Shakespeare or Austen and tell your sweetheart why you chose that particular work of genius. Keep your love notes inside the bottle, and whatever goes after that, be creative. This could be classic.


3. Maybe you can make a homemade coupon like – ‘SPA AT HOME’ or “EAT ALL YOU CAN BUFFET” at home, but of course you have to cook ridiculously loads of food, and that means spending too. Maybe you should keep it a bit low profile. Be creative.


4. Make a Video (if your sweetheart is an ocean apart) – for an unromantic boyfriend like mine, they’ll probably prefer this more. They’ll enjoy fun gifts like this. Trust me, it’s an effort to win over their awful ego.


5. If you’re that lazy and no money, make a CD or MP3 playlist of love songs. I tried this before. It didn’t do me any justice, he fall asleep listening to my choice of songs.


6. If you’re awfully ridiculously lazy and calculative about money, then at least send an e-card. Make your sweetheart happy for once!



More Ideas? Don’t get me started on kinky ideas.


Before I sign out, let me remind you. Whatever you plan for V day, make it extra special. It doesn’t have to be material stuff; it’s the thoughtfulness that counts. Put some thought into it and make it PERSONAL. The effort you put into it will be worth every moment of bliss that is created out of it.



What’s my plan for V day? I am more than happier to celebrate it with my single girlfriends, you know what girls can do.

2 what say you:

Gnet said...

fellie i want to hear the kinky ones! :P

v day with girl friends rawk babe. :)
i've been doing that fr the past few years. and gonna do it this year too. hihi

F.E.A said...

it's too '25 and above'... hahahah, if you're over 25 than i tell you..:)

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008